Strawberry Banana Mini Cupcakes – moist, soft, banana mini cupcakes topped with a fluffy cloud of strawberry buttercream; real bananas and real strawberries are used in the making of these mini cupcakes!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for more on affiliate links and my policies.
To say there have been more things to do than hours available in the month of May would be an understatement. I love keeping busy, but I hate being SO busy that it overwhelms me; May overwhelmed me. Do you ever experience that so overwhelmed it’s difficult to function or is it just me?
In all honesty, it is my own fault. My type-A personality won’t have it any other way. I use exercise and running as an outlet for my pent-up stress and anxiety, which works as long as I stick to it. What do you do to combat stress and anxiety? I am always open to suggestions!
With all that being said, a weekend/week away with my hubby for a little R&R is much needed! We’re going to take a little romp up to WI Dells, play some mini golf, and run. We’ve got the Lombardi Walk/Run for Cancer coming up!
Anyway, before I turn this post anymore into a therapy session, let's talk Strawberry Banana Mini Cupcakes.
I LOVE mini cupcakes. I’d rather have several mini cupcakes than a standard cupcake any day. You can eat more. OK, it seems like you can eat more. They disappear quicker at parties – probably something to do with ‘thinking you can eat more because they’re mini’. You can also just pop one in your mouth – less mess.
I am also obsessed with bananas and strawberries. Hello – Very Banana Cupcakes, Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes, and Dark Chocolate Banana Cupcakes. Oh, and I declared May strawberry month in Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes. You seem to love these recipes too, so yay for bananas and strawberries.
These Strawberry Banana Mini Cupcakes use my most popular cupcake recipe, Very Banana Cupcakes. The banana mini cupcakes are made using a doctored cake mix, which gives you the airy, fluffiness, and ease of a boxed cake mix. The doctored component gives you real bananas and couldn’t-possibly-be-made-with-boxed-cake-mix taste. Not to toot my own horn but these banana cupcakes are gooooood. Toot. Toot. 😉
The banana cupcakes are then topped with a fluffy cloud of strawberry buttercream, which gives you Strawberry Banana Mini Cupcakes. The strawberry buttercream is made using fresh strawberries that you puree. It’s an honest strawberry flavor – no jam, preservatives, or syrup used here.
If you’re not keen on banana cupcakes, the strawberry buttercream would pair beautifully with my made from scratch Strawberries Cupcakes.
Real bananas and real strawberries are used in the making of these moist and fluffy Strawberry Banana Mini Cupcakes. They were probably hurt given that you are mashing, baking, pureeing, and eating them. It’s totally worth it though. Fruit in a mini cupcake is one way the only way to eat healthily. 😉
Strawberry Banana Mini Cupcakes
Banana Mini Cupcakes
- 1 white boxed cake mix
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 small-medium ripe bananas
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar ¹
- 5 tablespoons strawberry puree ²
For Banana Mini Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line mini cupcake pan with mini cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, mix bananas until mashed and creamy. Add boxed cake mix, water, oil, eggs, baking soda, and baking powder; mix together on medium speed, about 2 minutes. Mixture should be combined and relatively smooth.
- Scoop batter into mini cupcake liners - no more than ⅔ full, or use a #60 disher to scoop batter. Bake for about 7-9 minutes. Check cupcakes around 8 minutes to avoid over-baking. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cupcake, if it comes out clean it is done. Remove mini cupcakes from oven and allow to cool in cupcake pan for 2 minutes; transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Cupcakes should be cooled completely before frosting.
For Strawberry Buttercream
- Hull and halve strawberries. Place in a food processor and blend until strawberries are pureed; no chunks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter until creamy and smooth. Add vanilla extract; mix until combined.
- Turn mixer on lowest speed and slowly add 1 cup of powdered sugar; mix until creamy. Scrape down bowl as necessary. Add 1 tablespoon strawberry puree; mix until combined.
- Alternate between adding 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon strawberry puree until remaining powdered sugar and strawberry puree has been added. Blend until creamy.
- Pipe or frost cooled cupcakes. Eat & Enjoy!