Patriotic M&M Cookies – chewy sugar cookies topped with M&M'S Chocolate Candies with a patriotic flare; perfect for the M&M Cookies obsessed AND Independence Day!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for more on affiliate links and my policies.
This post was originally shared on June 23, 2016 and has since been updated.
I LOVE M&M Cookies! I am constantly on the hunt for the most perfect cookies made with M&M's Milk Chocolate Candies.
For a lot of people, it’s all about the Chocolate Chip Cookies. For me, it’s M&M Cookies, which is why I've already shared Chewy M&M Cookies and M&M Cookies on the blog.
It’s why I am sharing Patriotic M&M Cookies.
The funny thing about my M&M Cookies obsession, and it definitely appears to be an obsession, is it has nothing to do with the M&M’S. Don’t get me wrong M&M’S are wonderful. I ♥ Peanut M&M’S! It’s just when it comes to M&M Cookies, it’s all about the sugar cookie NOT the delicious chocolate candies. M&M'S deliciousness is a given, the cookie is not.
These Patriotic M&M Cookies I am sharing obviously passed my rigorous M&M Cookies deliciousness test. OK, maybe it’s not that rigorous. I basically indulge myself in M&M Cookies.
Chewy Patriotic M&M Cookies have a delightful sugar crust on the outside; this is due to rolling the balls of cookie dough in granulated sugar. The sugar crust on the outside appears to give the cookie a crispness, but don’t let that fool you; these cookies are anything but crisp.
The insides of these cookies are soft and chewy, just like the perfect sugar cookie should be. If you’ve ever had a Mrs. Fields M&M Cookie at the mall, it’s like that, but with more girth. The soft and chewy comes in part from the addition of cream cheese to the batter. Cream cheese haters (that would be me 🙋) don’t let that dissuade you, you can’t taste the cream cheese, it just aids in the softness and chewiness.
These tasty M&M Cookies wouldn’t be patriotic or M&M Cookies without the addition of M&M'S Red, White, and Blue Milk Chocolate Candies. These lovely nuggets of chocolate with a candy shell give the already scrumptious sugar cookie a satisfying chocolate kick. The red, white, and blue M&M’S give the cookies a beautiful patriotic appearance that is perfect for Independence Day, Labor Day, and Memorial Day.
Share your patriotism and love for M&M Cookies with these soft and chewy, pleasantly tasty Patriotic M&M Cookies.
Patriotic M&M Cookies
- 2 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 and ½ cups granulated sugar, plus ⅓ cup for rolling
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and still warm
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M's Patriotic Milk Chocolate Candies plus ¼ cup for tops of cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a pie plate, pour ⅓ cup of granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, pour 1 and ½ cups sugar and cream cheese. Add the still warm melted butter; whisk until combined - mixture will not be completely smooth. Add oil, egg, milk, and vanilla extract; mix until combined and smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in dry ingredients AND 1 cup of patriotic M&M's chocolate candies; mix just until combined and a soft dough is forms. Do Not Over-Mix!
- Scoop dough into 2 tablespoon rounds, or use a #40 disher to scoop balls of dough; roll balls of dough in sugar previously placed in pie plate. Place on a silicone mat/parchment paper-lined baking sheet 2-3" apart. Cookies will spread. Using the bottom of a cup slightly flatten balls of dough into 2" discs.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until barely golden brown around the edges. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be soft and undone, but they will set as they cool.
- Immediately remove cookies and press M&M's into the tops of the cookies.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet on wire rack for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat & Enjoy!
I was looking for a treat that the kids could help with for the upcoming holiday weekend and this is perfect. Simple and sweet. I think my 10 year old can do it all on her own! Great recipe and thanks for sharing! Pinning!
Brittany - Awesome! I would love to see your cookies if you make them! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!! 🙂
Valentina | The Baking Fairy says
These look so yummy and easy, and perfect for 4th of July! Pinning! 🙂
Thank you Valentina!!