Patriotic M&M Cookies – chewy sugar cookies with a delish sugar crust, topped with M&M'S Milk Chocolate Candies with a patriotic flare; perfect for the M&M Cookies obsessed AND Independence Day!
It’s why I am constantly testing M&M Cookies and am on the hunt for the most perfect M&M Cookies.
It’s why I am sharing another M&M Cookies recipe, Patriotic M&M Cookies and it won’t be the last.
For a lot of people, it’s Chocolate Chip Cookies. For me, it’s M&M Cookies.
If M&M Cookies are an option, I’ll take two, please…or maybe three. 😉
The funny thing about my M&M Cookies obsession, and it definitely appears to be an obsession, is it has nothing to do with the M&M’S. Don’t get me wrong M&M’S are wonderful. I ♥ Peanut M&M’S! (Remember this baking misadventure?) It’s just when it comes to M&M Cookies, it’s all about the cookie NOT the delicious chocolate candies. M&M'S deliciousness are a given, the cookie is not.
The Patriotic M&M Cookies I am sharing obviously passed my rigorous M&M Cookies deliciousness test. OK, maybe it’s not that rigorous. I basically indulge myself in M&M Cookies.
A Little Patriotic M&M Cookies Dissection
Patriotic M&M Cookies have a delightful sugar crust on the outside; this is due to rolling the balls of cookie dough in granulated sugar. The sugar crust on the outside appears to give the cookie a crispness, but don’t let that you; these M&M Cookies are anything but crisp.
The insides of the Patriotic M&M Cookies are soft and chewy, just like the perfect sugar cookie should be. If you’ve ever had a Mrs. Fields M&M Cookie at the mall, it’s like that, but with more girth. The soft and chewiness comes in part from the addition of cream cheese to the batter. Cream cheese haters don’t let that dissuade you, you can’t taste the cream cheese, it just aids in the tenderness and texture.
Patriotic M&M Cookies wouldn’t be patriotic or M&M Cookies without the addition of M&M'S Red, White, and Blue Milk Chocolate Candies. These lovely nuggets of chocolate with a candy shell give the already scrumptious sugar cookie a satisfying chocolate kick and a wee-bit of crunch. The red, white, and blue M&M’S give the cookies a beautiful patriotic appearance that is perfect for Independence Day, Labor Day, and Memorial Day.
Unfortunately for me, I cannot take credit for the marvelousness that IS the Patriotic M&M Cookies. I found the recipe on The Girl Who Ate Everything, and she got it from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures, so suffice to say this M&M Cookies recipe gets around. It’s that GOOD!
I didn’t alter or adapt any part of this recipe, except for making the cookies patriotic (which doesn’t count), as none was necessary. Remember, it’s that GOOD!
Share your patriotism and love for M&M Cookies with these pleasantly tasty Patriotic M&M Cookies.
Patriotic M&M Cookies
- 2 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 and ½ cups granulated sugar, plus ⅓ cup for rolling
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and still warm
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M's Red, White, and Blue Milk Chocolate Candies, plus ¼ cup for tops of cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a pie plate, pour ⅓ cup of granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, pour 1 and ½ cups sugar and cream cheese. Add the still warm melted butter; whisk until combined - mixture will not be completely smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in dry ingredients AND 1 cup of M&M's Red, White, and Blue Milk Chocolate Candies; mix just until combined and a soft dough is forms. Do Not Over-Mix!
- Scoop dough into 2 tablespoon rounds, or use a #40 disher to scoop balls of dough; roll balls of dough in sugar previously placed in pie plate. Place on a silicone mat/parchment paper lined baking sheet 2-3" apart. Cookies will spread. Using the bottom of a cup slightly flatten balls of dough into 2" discs.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until barely golden brown around the edges. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be soft and undone, but they will set as they cool.
- Immediately remove cookies and press M&M's into the tops of the cookies.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet on wire rack for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat & Enjoy!