Patriotic Butter Cookies – light and airy cookie press butter cookies outfitted as red and blue stars.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
I absolutely knew I had to make these Patriotic Butter Cookies when I stumbled across this video from OXO. First, they’re perfect for Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day. Second, I could finally try out my OXO Cookie Press. It was a win-win.
For the Patriotic Butter Cookies recipe I used the one provided by OXO, except halved it. It’s a nice standard butter cookie recipe that provides a delish butter cookie. These cookies have a nice butter flavor; it’s definitely a butter cookie recipe I would use again.
Patriotic Butter Cookies, like all butter cookies IMO, are a simpler and plainer cookie, but sometimes we need that in life. Right?
To create patriotic colors for my Patriotic Butter Cookies I used Americolor Gel Paste in super red and royal blue. Unfortunately, I didn’t have white gel paste. In the future I would definitely add in the bright white for truly patriotic cookies. I am still happy with the results though AND my OXO Cookie Press.
To get the multi-colored dough into the cookie press place the red dough in a log shape onto a piece of cling wrap, and then add the blue dough on top of it. Wrap dough in cling wrap and roll to give it a cylinder shape (kind of like this, but with dough instead of buttercream). Place in fridge for about 20 minutes. Remove from fridge, unwrap, and place into cookie press.
And there you have it, Patriotic Butter Cookies that make me think of Captain America. #justsaying
Patriotic Butter Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and salt; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg, continuously beating.
- Slowly add flour, beating until incorporated.
- Divide dough mixture in half, one for each color. Add and mix desired colors.
- Place red dough in a log shape onto a piece of cling wrap, then add white dough on top of it, and then blue dough on top of that. Wrap dough in cling wrap and roll to give it a cylinder log shape. Place in fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Remove dough from fridge, unwrap, and place into cookie press with star disk. Allow dough inside cookie press to be brought to room temperature before pressing.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Press dough onto an ungreased, or silicone mat lined baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are set and lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet on wire rack for 1 minute; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat & Enjoy!