A classic favorite, Milk Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are loaded with milk chocolate chips and walnuts; they’re made with butter and shortening creating a soft, chewy, and crisp cookie with a lot of texture and flavor!
There are like a billion chocolate chip cookie recipes. Who would have thought there would be so many ways to make a chocolate chip cookie? I certainly didn’t.
I have a pretty hefty collection of chocolate chip cookie recipes I want to try; mainly I want to know what the difference is. I’ve already tackled what I tote as the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies, BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies for Two, as well as Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Today, I am sharing Milk Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies, recipe courtesy of BHG’s Biggest Book of Cookies: 475 All Time Favorites. P.S. I want to bake all 475 of these cookie recipes someday!
Milk Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are a classic chocolate chip cookie made with butter and shortening. The shortening makes the cookies soft and chewy in texture, it also prevents the cookies from over spreading. No need to refrigerate this dough. The butter gives the cookies flavor; you won’t find shortening flavor here! It’s a perfect marriage of butter and shortening.
Milk Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies have a soft and chewy center with crisp edges making them a lovely hybrid cookie. The walnuts (oh-so-many walnuts) add a little crunch to the cookies, as well as a delicious walnut-y flavor. If you’re not feeling nuts, the walnuts can be optional. I, however, am often feeling nuts, so walnuts it is.
When it comes to Milk Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies you CANNOT forget the milk chocolate. The recipe called for semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I kicked it up a notch with Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips instead, 2-cups of Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips to be exact!
Milk Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are GOOD. They are super flavorful, loaded with milk chocolate and walnuts, and are a medium thickness which makes for a delish combo of soft, chewy, and crispy. Love it! You’re going to want to make Milk Chocolate Walnut Cookies part of your chocolate chip cookies recipe box; they’re SO worth it! Oh man, do they smell good baking too!
Three chocolate chip cookies recipes down, only a million more to go! Woohoo!
Is there a chocolate chip cookies recipe you’re dying to try? What is it?
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 and 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter and shortening on medium speed. Add sugars and baking soda; mix until combined.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
- Slowly add flour to wet ingredients; mix just until combined.
- Gently fold in milk chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Scoop dough into heaping tablespoon balls, or use a #50 disher to scoop balls of dough. Place on a ungreased baking sheet, or silicone mat/parchment paper lined baking sheet about 2" apart.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until barely golden brown around the edges. Do not overbake. Mine baked perfect at 10 minutes. Cookies may appear to be soft and undone, but they will set as they cool.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet on wire rack for 1 minute; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat & Enjoy!
Milk Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies should be stored in an airtight container and will keep 3+ days or freeze up to 3 months.