Marbled Butterfly Sugar Cookies - your favorite sugar cookies cut into butterfly shapes and frosted with marbleized royal icing; perfect spring Mother’s Day cookies.
Are you looking for a fun dessert to bake up for Mother’s Day?
I’ve got gorgeous, spring cutout sugar cookie inspiration for you, Marbled Butterfly Sugar Cookies.
Marbled Butterfly Sugar Cookies scream spring, are perfect for Mother’s Day, and utilize a marble royal icing technique I’ve been dying to share.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
To create the marble effect on your sugar cookies, scoop about 3-tablespoons of thinned royal icing into a small bowl and add a few drops of soft gel paste or food coloring to icing; swirl around with a toothpick. Don’t mix it in. You want to see swirled variations of color; this is what gives you the marble effect.
For my Marble Butterfly Sugar Cookies, I marbleized with five different color combos using Americolor Soft Gel Paste. You can use your favorite color combos of Americolor Soft Gel Paste or food coloring. If you want to create any of the color combos I created they are (1) electric orange and red red, (2) electric yellow and soft pink, (3) fuchsia, (4) electric blue, and (5) electric green.
Dip your butterfly sugar cookie face down onto your swirled royal icing, slowly peel cookie away to one side, turning upright, and let excess drip off. Set on a wire rack and continue with remaining cookies. When your frosting gets too low, too muddled, or you want to switch colors then just add 3-tablespoons of thinned royal icing to another small bowl and repeat the color, swirling, and dripping process.
Tada, you have Marbled Butterfly Sugar Cookies. It takes some practice. My last ten cookies looked a lot better than my first ten. It’s normal unless you’re just totally awesome at this, then go you. 😜
Marbled Butterfly Sugar Cookies
- Make sugar cookie dough per sugar cookie mix instructions or using your favorite cutout sugar cookie recipe.
- Roll out the dough. Using a butterfly cookie cutter, cut about ¼” thick butterfly cookies. Bake per sugar cookie mix instructions. Allow baked cookies to cool completely.
- Make royal icing per instructions. Thin icing to drizzling consistency, or about 6-second icing.
- Add 3-tablespoons of thinned royal icing to a small bowl. Add 2 to 3 drops of soft gel paste or food coloring to the bowl, scattering it over the surface of the icing. Drag a toothpick through the drops a few times to make swirls.
- Dip the top side of each butterfly cookie directly into the icing, slowly peel cookie away to one side, turning upright, and let the excess drip off. Transfer to wire rack. Repeat with remaining cookies, changing icing bowls and colors as desired or when icing gets too muddled.
- Allow Marbled Butterfly Sugar Cookies to dry completely before storing or eating. Eat & Enjoy!
Shop This Recipe