Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars - soft and chewy sugar cookie bars bursting with lemon deliciousness.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
The weather in WI has been pretty hideous. It’s been doom and gloom rain pretty much every day.
I am desperately in need of some fun in the sun, and sun’s out guns out days. 😜☀️💪🏻
In honor of my desperation for sunshine and warm weather, I am bringing in some summer inspiration with Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars.
The yellow of lemons plus the citrusy flavor SCREAMS summer, vodka lemonades, pool parties, long walks outside instead of on the treadmill, enjoying the great outdoors days. I am SO ready for those days.
Also, I freakin’ LOVE sugar cookies (it says so in all my SBS profiles) and lemon!!
Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars are deliciously moist and chewy, which is totally necessary for a cookie bar. The additional egg yolk and the bit of brown sugar encourage this texture perfection.
Additionally, these cookie bars are bursting with LEMON!! Seriously, there is lemon zest AND lemon juice from an entire lemon, about 1.5 tablespoons and 2.5 tablespoons respectively.
That is SO. MUCH. LEMON. It’s WONDERFUL.
Honestly, I hate zesting a lemon or juicing one for that matter. I’d rather buy lemon juice and skip the zest.
Don’t skip the lemon zest. It’s a pain but it adds fun flecks of yellow to your bars and a ton of lemon flavor. If you want Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars you NEED lemon zest.
As for the juicing aspect, since your zesting, you might as well get juice that lemon. It’s not going to last without it zest.
I used the Lemon-Lime Squeezer from Zulay Kitchen to get my lemon juice. They sent me this product to try and honestly I was reluctant because I’d rather buy lemon juice. It’s easier and I can be lazy. 😬
I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use AND how well it worked. It made this chore a breeze and I am less reluctant to squeeze lemon juice in the future. Yay!
Now if only there was a way to make zesting a lemon less annoying.
Get into the summer spirit with Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars; they’re delightfully chewy, refreshingly lemon, and sugar cookie perfection.
Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
- 2 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 and ½ tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 and ½ tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together butter, ¾ cup of granulated sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed; mix until smooth. Beat in egg, egg yolk, lemon zest, and lemon juice; just until combined.
- Add flour mixture; mix just until combined.
- Spread dough evenly into prepared pan. Evenly sprinkle remaining ¼ cup of granulated sugar onto the top of the spread dough.
- Bake for 23-27 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Eat & Enjoy!
Shop This Recipe