Double Chocolate Banana Muffins - an easy and delicious marriage of bananas and rich chocolate creating dreamy, oh-so-chocolatey muffin perfection.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for more on affiliate links and my policies.
If you are a follower of Sarah's Bake Studio you know that I haven't been very good with sharing new recipes these last couple of years. The combination of moving to our new house and the heavy weight of the world has led me a stray. I am trying to find my way back.
In my effort to get back to life beyond the mixer, as well as baking life sweet, I have been consulting my neverending list of "things I want to bake" and figuring out what's going to be on the baking docket this year.
Ultimately, I decided since it's been quite some time since I shared a muffin recipe, my first recipe for the new year is going to be Double Chocolate Banana Muffins.
If you'd prefer the perfect marriage of bananas and chocolate in a cupcake, I also have you covered with these Dark Chocolate Banana Cupcakes. Banana is a FAVORITE dessert flavor for me, so there is no shortage of banana recipes here.
You'll LOVE these if you're a fan of chocolate because they are oh-so-chocolatey, and if you'd prefer to skip the chocolate I've also got you covered with Banana Walnut Oatmeal Muffins and Banana Crumb Snack Cake Cupcakes.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are beyond easy to bake too. You don't need a hand or stand mixer. You'll just be whisking and hand-mixing these into muffins and you won't even have to put your back into it; it's an easy mix.
If you'd prefer to make these moist muffins (yeah, I said it.) a tad more difficult but also a tad more delicious you can opt to add the very optional streusel topping. I promise these muffins are fabulous with or without the streusel topping; it is totally up to you.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are doubly chocolate and doubly good.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk mashed bananas, oil, and egg until blended.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients; stir just until moistened. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- For the optional streusel topping¹, In a small bowl, combine sugar, all-purpose flour, and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter until crumbly.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners – no more than ⅔ full, or use a #24 disher to scoop batter. If desired, sprinkle tops with optional streusel topping¹.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cupcake, if it comes out clean it is done. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat & Enjoy!