Crispy Sunflower Cookies – a touch of crispy, a bit of chewy, oodles of nutty, and a hint of chocolate make this oatmeal cookie with Sunburst Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds heaps of delightfully delicious!
I debated on whether I should share these Crispy Sunflower Cookies now or if I should revamp the recipe first. I was initially disappointed with how thin they turned out, their lack of crispy, and how unattractive they were. In the end, I decided to share them now because I absolutely love them just the way they are! They’re just SO tasty!
Crispy Sunflower Cookies is another recipe from BHG’s Biggest Book of Cookies. I am working my way through the 475 all-time favorite recipes, and can put a check next to Milk Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies, Chocolate-Peanut Blowouts, and now Crispy Sunflower Cookies! #bakelistgoals
I kept this cookie recipe pretty much the same, except I halved the recipe, omitted the coconut, and used Sunburst Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds instead of regular old sunflower seeds; and ka-pow, we’ve got a delightfully delicious cookie on our hands!
Crispy Sunflower Cookies spread a ton as you bake them resulting in an uber thin cookie. This thin cookie allows for the touch of crispy and the bit of chewy. The outside edges are crunchy while the centers are chewy; a really lovely combo. There is also a bit of crispy crunch from the Sunburst Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds. Yum!
Be sure to place dough rounds 3” apart on your baking sheet to compensate for the cookie spreading!
Crispy Sunflower Cookies have a lovely nutty flavor from the Sunburst Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds. This is not a typical flavor unless you eat sunflower seeds on the regular, but a thoroughly enjoyable one. The nutty zest of sunflower seeds inside an oatmeal cookie is a tasty flavor that you just cannot get from any other nut.
To add to the awesomeness that IS the Crispy Sunflower Cookies, the Sunbursts Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds add a hint of chocolate that gives these cookies a little something-something that knocks them out of the park! In my opinion, Sunbursts are necessary to for this cookie!
Crispy Sunflower Cookies, thinner and not the most perfect looking, but positively scrumptious in all the right ways!
Crispy Sunflower Cookies
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- ½ cup Sunburst Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars on medium speed, about a minute. Add eggs and vanilla extract; mix until combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients; mix just until combined. Add in oats; mix until combined.
- Gently fold in Sunburst Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds.
- Bake 10-11 minutes or until barely golden brown around the edges. Do not overbake. The tops will not brown. Cookies may appear to be soft and undone, but they will set as they cool.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet on wire rack for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat & Enjoy!