Chocolate Tortoises - delicious nutty homemade chocolate and caramel candies created with cashews, macadamia nuts, and pecans; a too cute and fun twist on Chocolate Turtles.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
I’ve been on a candy chocolate kick these days. This is in part because I have SO MUCH chocolate around my apartment that needs to be used up and well candy and chocolate. Do we really need a reason for candy and chocolate? 🍫😋
The candy and chocolate recipe I’ve baked up for you is Chocolate Tortoises. 🍫🐢
Chocolate Tortoises are a lovely and adorable spin on Chocolate Turtles. They are made up of melted chocolate, soft caramels, salted cashews, macadamia nuts, and pecans.
They are nutty. They are delicious. They look like tortoises.
Aren’t they just the greatest? 😜😍
Chocolate Tortoises are easy-peasy to make even the kiddos can help.
To make these chocolate candies arrange on a lined baking sheet four cashews and one macadamia nut into a tortoise shaped cluster, the cashews are the tortoise legs and the macadamia nuts the heads.
Next, take soft caramel candies, I use Werther's Soft Caramels which work brilliantly and gently flatten onto your cashew/macadamia nut tortoise cluster.
Now you’re ready to bake these little guys. Don’t set it and forget it though; they’ll only need about five minutes. You just want your caramels to start to melt.
While your caramel melting is happening in the oven you’ll need to melt a little bit of chocolate in the microwave. I use chocolate melting wafers because it’s easy and I always have some on hand.
Remove your almost Chocolate Tortoises from the oven and dollop a teaspoon of chocolate onto each one, immediately followed by a pecan topper, the tortoiseshell.
These cutie pies will need to rest, either on your counter or in the fridge. Once they’ve set, bring to room temperature before devouring! 🤤
Chocolate Tortoise’s make great Christmas gifts and delish Christmas party desserts. You simply can’t go wrong with homemade chocolate, caramel, and nut candies. It’s a fact.
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper/Silpat mat. Arrange 20 clusters of 4 cashews and 1 macadamia nut; the cashews are the tortoise legs and the macadamia nut the heads. Gently flatten caramels and place them on top of each cluster.
- Bake 5 minutes, or until caramels begin to melt.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate melting wafers. Microwave on medium heat for 30 seconds. Remove and stir slowly. Replace in microwave for 15-second increments until candy wafers are completely melted.
- Dollop a teaspoon of melted chocolate onto each melted caramel and top with a pecan.
- Allow Chocolate Tortoises to set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Bring to room temperature before serving. Eat & Enjoy!