Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting – a deliciously moist and fluffy chocolate cake crowned with the perfect not too sweet chocolate cream cheese frosting; a Georgetown Cupcakes recipe.
Have you ever seen DC Cupcakes? I love that show! I love watching them make cupcakes for Georgetown Cupcakes! Sadly, I’ve never actually had a Georgetown Cupcakes cupcake. That being said, visiting their Washington DC location and trying one several of their cupcakes is on my bucket list.
My Georgetown Cupcakes love also includes owning Sophie and Katherine’s book, The Cupcake Diaries. This little gem is where Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting hails. If you’re a fan I highly recommend the book, and regardless of fandom I highly recommend these Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting!
If you couldn’t tell yet, I am a Georgetown Cupcakes fan. Aren’t you?
I’ve been looking for a chocolate cupcakes scratch recipe that would knock my socks off. Georgetown Cupcakes chocolate cupcake recipe IS that recipe! It’s easy to follow the recipe that doesn’t contain any off the wall ingredients (for the most part). It is chocolatey, super moist, and fluffy just like a cupcake should be; no dense cupcakes here!
OK, so you’re probably wondering about the “for the most part” no off the wall ingredients. The recipe calls for Plugra butter and Valrhona cocoa powder. I did not use either of these brands as they are hard to come by. I use Land-O-Lakes European Style Super Premium Unsalted Butter and Penzy’s High Fat Cocoa. The only other deviation I made is that I used 1% milk instead of whole milk.
The recipe also called for sifting the cocoa powder which I skipped because I hate sifting anything.
These Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting are AMAZING! I don’t know what they taste like when Georgetown Cupcakes makes them, but I am not sure it’s possible for them to be any better! These cupcakes are that good!
The chocolate cream cheese frosting is also a Georgetown Cupcakes recipe from The Cupcake Diaries. I didn’t sift the powdered sugar in this recipe either. I don’t sift (unless absolutely necessary and it rarely is). It’s just the right amount of chocolate and sweet. If you find buttercream to be too sweet (we can’t be friends – J/K) then you’ll love this Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting. My taste testers LOVED it!
The key to the Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is to whip it and whip it good. This will give is a light, fluffy, and creamy texture; perfect for topping your fabulous chocolate cupcakes!!
If you’ve been dying to recreate Georgetown Cupcakes’ Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting or have been looking for a to-die-for chocolate on chocolate cupcake then you’ve come to the right place! Have you ever had a Georgetown Cupcake?
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons European-style unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs; at room temperature
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup 1% milk, at room temperature¹
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder²
- 4 tablespoons European-style unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar, beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Add eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
- Combine vanilla extract and milk in a liquid measuring cup. Set aside.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients, alternating between flour and milk mixture; beat at low speed until just combined. Add cocoa powder, mixing on low speed until just combined.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners – no more than 2/3 full, or use a #24 disher to scoop batter. Bake for 14-18 minutes. Check cupcakes around 15 minutes to avoid over-baking. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cupcake, if it comes out clean it is done. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 5 minutes; transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cupcakes should be cooled completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until creamy and smooth.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add semi-sweet chocolate chips. Microwave on medium heat for 30 seconds. Remove and stir slowly. Replace in microwave for 15 second increments until chocolate chips are completely melted. Set aside and allow to cool (but not harden).
- Turn mixer on lowest speed and add powdered sugar and vanilla extract; mix on low speed until combined. Add melted/ cooled chocolate; mix until combined.
- Turn mixer on high speed and beat for 5 minutes until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe or frost cooled cupcakes. Eat & Enjoy!
Store Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting in an airtight container in the fridge; will keep for 3+ days.
¹ 1%, 2%, or whole milk will work. The original recipe calls for whole and I used 1%.
² Recipe calls for a good-quality cocoa powder.
Recipe from The Cupcake Diaries.