Chocolate Chip Cake Batter Cookies - gorgeous, sprinkle-filled, soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies with a cake batter twist make these cookies out-of-this-world DELICIOUS!!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for more on affiliate links and my policies.
This post was originally shared on September 23, 2013 and has since been updated.
As a cupcake lover, there isn't anything much better than cupcakes, but a cookie made with cake batter does come pretty darn close.
These delish cake batter cookies aka cake mix cookies are easy-peasy and combine the softness of confetti cake with the chewiness of chocolate chip cookies to make MONSTER DELICIOUS cookies. You just can't go wrong with these cookies.
Plus, aren't these beauties positively gorgeous?
I love looking at them, and of course, eating them is tremendously AWESOME too!
Chocolate Chip Cake Batter Cookies were one of the first recipes I blogged about on Sarah's Bake Studio. They're an adaption from Sally's Baking Addiction, and as you may know, she is AWESOME!
This gorgeous cake mix cookie recipe is pretty true to the original with a few minor tweaks. I opted for mini chocolate chips and used fewer of them, as well as fewer sprinkles. I like my cookies a little less "loaded". I tend to lean towards less is more.
Unfortunately, my camera skills were less than desirable in the early days, and thus I felt these cake batter cookies were not getting the justice they deserved.
And believe me, they deserve some SERIOUS justice!
If there has to be a downside to these cookies then it's that the cookie dough requires an hour of refrigeration. Don't skip the refrigeration. Your life will be easier and your cookies will be better if you don't skip it.
The refrigeration makes the sticky dough easier to work with and helps prevent the cookie dough from over-spreading when baking. It is a small and totally worth it price to pay for this yummy goodness.
The silver lining, you can refrigerate the cookie dough for 3-4 days, so make that dough ahead of time and get back to it later.
Chocolate Chip Cake Batter Cookies have quickly become one of my favorite cookies because they are fun, festive, and tasty. They'll be a favorite of yours too. I promise.
Chocolate Chip Cake Batter Cookies
- 1 and ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and ¼ cup white boxed cake mix
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 and ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup sprinkles
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, boxed cake mix, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars on medium speed. Add egg and vanilla extract; mix until creamy.
- Cover and refrigerate cookie dough for a minimum of one hour. This makes the dough more manageable and helps prevent over-spreading.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned. Cookies may be soft in the middle but will set as they cool.
- Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat & Enjoy!