Chocolate Buttercream - a smooth, creamy, rich and chocolatey buttercream frosting; perfect for your chocolate frosting needs and desires.
Full disclosure, I am not a fan of heavy whipping cream. It has a very distinct flavor that makes my nose crinkle and my taste buds cry. If you know me at all, this is not surprising. I am an extremely picky eater and I dare you to find a pickier eater than me. It's a bitch. For reals.
That being said, I prefer frostings without heavy whipping cream like my Chocolate American Buttercream and Vanilla Buttercream. Seriously, I'll eat that deliciousness with a spoon. I want to cater to all taste buds on SBS, not just my own, so sharing other buttercreams is going to happen.
Hello, Chocolate Buttercream!
Chocolate Buttercream has been taste tested in my test kitchen, i.e. my hubby and his coworkers with their less fickle taste buds and it got all their thumbs up of approval. This recipe is also an adaption of i am baker's, Whipped Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, which means It. Is. Good.
Chocolate Buttercream is chocolatey (yes, I tried it). You want chocolatey in a Chocolate Buttercream otherwise you'd make Vanilla Buttercream. 😉
It is also beyond easy to make. You basically dump a bunch of ingredients into your mixer and mix the crap out of it. Tada, you've got Chocolate Buttercream. It's really as simple as that. You'd be hard pressed to screw up this chocolate frosting. If you do, please share, baking misadventures CAN be fun. #justsaying
Chocolate Buttercream is also a versatile frosting. You can frost a cake, frost cupcakes, or eat it with a spoon (if you are into that sort of thing). I made these Chocolate Banana Cupcakes and piped Chocolate Buttercream using a pastry bag and 1M decorating tip and it worked like a charm. Aren't they pretty? (Excuse me while I toot my own horn). 🙂
Every recipe box should contain a plethora of frostings and Chocolate Buttercream should be one of them. Chocolate Buttercream IS a chocolate frosting dream (even if you don't like heavy whipping cream).
- 1 and ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 and ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 7 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add salt, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder; mix until combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time; beating well after each addition. Scrape down bowl as necessary.
- Once all powdered sugar has been mixed in, add 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream at a time and mix. Continue to add and mix until desired consistency is achieved. Eat & Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.