Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes – moist chocolate cupcakes stuffed with mini 3 Musketeers bars and topped with fluffy chocolate buttercream.
I’ve been making cookies like a mad woman. You may have noticed with my Kit Kat Cookies, BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies, Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Decorated Cutout Cookies. As a self proclaimed cupcake lover, I have managed to bake a few cupcake recipes, including these delicious Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes.
These Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes are fabulous cupcakes for three reasons.
1. You are trying to use up some of your candy stash. Check.
2. You want to make your cupcake recipe more snazzy. Check.
3. You LOVE chocolate and 3 Musketeers candy bars. Check.
This Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes recipe is a snap. All you need is 3 Musketeers Minis, chocolate boxed cake mix, and chocolate frosting. If you have a favorite made from scratch chocolate cake recipe you can use that instead. I am partial to the boxed cake mix approach as it is delicious and great when you’re starved for time.
To make this chocolatey sweet treat, place 3 Musketeers Minis in the freezer for a minimum of an hour. You want the 3 Musketeers candy bar to retain it’s 3 Musketeers goodness and shape while it’s being baked. The freezing of the candy bars prevents the candy bars from completely melting while baking the cupcakes. I strongly suggest you do not skip the freezing component.
When your hour of candy bar freezing is almost up you can begin the cake making process. Grab your favorite chocolate boxed cake mix and follow the ingredients and directions on the back of the boxed cake mix. For this recipe I used Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Cake Mix.
Once your batter is made, fill your cupcake liners half full with batter. Next place a frozen 3 Musketeers Minis in the center. Press the candy bar down slightly into the batter, ideally you don’t want it sitting on the bottom of the cupcake. Then spoon a little bit of batter on top of the candy bar so that it is no longer visible. Bake the cupcakes as directed on the back of the boxed cake mix.
Once your cupcakes are completely cooled, it is time to frost with your favorite chocolate frosting. I chose my go-to Chocolate American Buttercream. The final decoration, a little shaved baking chocolate.
And there you have it, Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes. Mmm…chocolate.
- 1 chocolate boxed cake mix *
- 1 and 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 24 '3 Musketeers' Minis
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs pure cane powdered sugar
- 7 tablespoons milk
- Freeze 3 Musketeers Minis for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Make chocolate cake batter per boxed cake mix instructions.*
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners, no more than 1/2 full. Press a 3 Musketeers Minis down slightly into the batter, spoon a little batter on top of candy bar so that it is no longer visible.
- Bake cupcakes as directed on the back of the boxed cake mix. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 3 minutes; transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Cupcakes should be cooled completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter and shortening until creamy and smooth. Add cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt; mix until combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time; beating well after each addition. Scrape down bowl as necessary.
- Once all powdered sugar has been mixed in, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and mix. Continue to add and mix until desired consistency is achieved.
- Frost using a decorating tip or spatula onto cooled cupcakes. Eat & Enjoy!
*Follow cupcake ingredients and baking instructions per boxed cake mix.
Store Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes in an airtight container. Cupcakes will keep for 4+ days.
Store Chocolate Buttercream in airtight container in refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. When you are ready to use, bring to room temperature and re-whip.