Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes - moist chocolate cupcakes stuffed with mini 3 Musketeers bars and topped with fluffy chocolate buttercream.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for more on affiliate links and my policies.
I've been making cookies like a mad woman. You may have noticed with my Kit Kat Cookies, BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies. As a self-proclaimed cupcake lover, I have managed to bake a few cupcake recipes, including these delicious Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes.
These Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes are fabulous cupcakes for three reasons.
1. You are trying to use up some of your candy stash. Check.
2. You want to make your cupcake recipe more snazzy. Check.
3. You LOVE chocolate and 3 Musketeers candy bars. Check.
This Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes recipe is a snap. All you need is 3 Musketeers Minis, a chocolate boxed cake mix, and chocolate frosting. If you have a favorite made-from-scratch chocolate cake recipe you can use that instead. I am partial to the boxed cake mix approach as it is delicious and great when you're starved for time.
To make this chocolatey sweet treat, place 3 Musketeers Minis in the freezer for a minimum of an hour. You want the 3 Musketeers candy bar to retain its 3 Musketeers goodness and shape while it's being baked. The freezing of the candy bars prevents the candy bars from completely melting while baking the cupcakes. I strongly suggest you do not skip the freezing component.
When your hour of candy bar freezing is almost up you can begin the cake-making process. Grab your favorite chocolate boxed cake mix and follow the ingredients and directions on the back of the boxed cake mix. For this recipe, I used Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Cake Mix.
Once your batter is made, fill your cupcake liners half full with batter. Next place a frozen 3 Musketeers Minis in the center. Press the candy bar down slightly into the batter, ideally, you don't want it sitting on the bottom of the cupcake. Then spoon a little bit of batter on top of the candy bar so that it is no longer visible. Bake the cupcakes as directed on the back of the boxed cake mix.
Once your cupcakes are completely cooled, it is time to frost them with your favorite chocolate frosting. I chose my go-to Chocolate American Buttercream. The final decoration, is a little shaved baking chocolate.
And there you have it, Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes. Mmm...chocolate.
Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes
For Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 chocolate boxed cake mix *
- 1 and ¼ cups water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 24 '3 Musketeers' Minis
For Chocolate Cupcakes
- Freeze 3 Musketeers Minis for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Make chocolate cake batter per boxed cake mix instructions.*
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners, no more than ½ full. Press a 3 Musketeers Minis down slightly into the batter, spoon a little batter on top of candy bar so that it is no longer visible.
- Bake cupcakes as directed on the back of the boxed cake mix. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 3 minutes; transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Cupcakes should be cooled completely before frosting.
For Chocolate Buttercream
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter and shortening until creamy and smooth. Add cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt; mix until combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time; beating well after each addition. Scrape down bowl as necessary.
- Once all powdered sugar has been mixed in, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and mix. Continue to add and mix until desired consistency is achieved.
- Frost using a decorating tip or spatula onto cooled cupcakes. Eat & Enjoy!