Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies - soft and chewy, deliciously simple sugar cookies bursting with lemon extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for more on affiliate links and my policies.
A few years back I came to the realization that I have a love for lemons. It came as a surprise to me.
I first realized it with the very delicious Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are absolutely divine, and thus an eye-opening love for lemon cookies began.
Then came Strawberry Lemonade Oreo Truffle Pops, which are both delicious and gorgeous followed by Pink Lemonade Crinkle Cookies and Lemon Crinkle Cookies. Yes, my love for lemon continued to grow, as does the collection of lemon desserts here on Sarah's Bake Studio.
The last straw in the lemonade was The Great Big List of Lemon Desserts, and well my affinity for vodka lemonades and Tito's and water with MiO Lemonade sealed the deal and made it official, lemon is my jam.
Of course, when you find out lemon is your jam you have to start ticking off all the mouth-watering desserts on The Great Big List of Lemon Desserts. It's really the only thing you can do.
Naturally, this would be my go-to since I love sugar cookies and am now officially delighted by lemon.
Without a doubt, these fabulous cookies bursting with lemon do not disappoint.
I needed a little bit more lemon in these delightfully lemon cookies and thus added a wee bit of lemon extract to really make the lemon pop.
The results, are Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies, tastefully lemony with lemon extract, lemon juice, AND lemon zest. Mmmm!
Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and ¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together butter and a cup of granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla extract; mix until just combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add egg; mix until just combined.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients; mix just until combined.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Bake 12-14 minutes. Cookies may appear to be soft and undone, but they will set as they cool.
- Cool cookies on a baking sheet on a wire rack for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat & Enjoy!