Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies - deliciously simple sugar cookies with lemon extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest, making these soft and chewy lemon sugar cookies refreshingly lemon.
A few years back I came to the realization that I have a love for lemon. It came as a surprise to me.
I first realized it with the very delicious Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are absolutely divine, an eye-opening love for lemon, cookie.
The last straw in the lemonade was The Great Big List of Lemon Desserts, and well my affinity for vodka lemonades and Tito's and water with lemon Mio. It became official, lemon is my jam.
Of course when you find out lemon is your jam you have to start ticking off all the mouth-watering desserts on The Great Big List of Lemon Desserts. It's the only thing you can do.
Naturally, this would be my go-to since I love sugar cookies and am delighted by lemon.
Naturally, Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies do not disappoint.
I needed a little bit more lemon in my Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies and thus added a wee-bit of lemon extract to really make the lemon pop.
The results, Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies are tastefully lemony with lemon juice, lemon zest, AND lemon extract. Mmmm!
Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and ¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together butter and a cup of granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla extract; mix until just combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add egg; mix until just combined.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients; mix just until combined.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Scoop chilled dough into tablespoon balls, or use a #40 disher to scoop balls of dough. Roll balls of dough int remaining ¼ cup of granulated sugar. Place on an ungreased baking sheet or silicone mat/parchment paper lined baking sheet. Keep dough chilled in between batches.
- Bake 12-14 minutes. Cookies may appear to be soft and undone, but they will set as they cool.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet on wire rack 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat & Enjoy!
Shop This Recipe
Oxo Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop | Stainless Steel Measuring Cups | Silpat Silicone Baking Mat | Wilton 3-Tier Cooling Rack | Joseph Joseph Silicone Baking Spatula | Farberware Non-Stick Cookie Sheet