Butterfinger Cupcakes – buttery doctored butter cake mix and Butterfinger Baking Bits baked to cupcake perfection, topped with smooth chocolate buttercream, and sprinkled with bits of Butterfinger happiness!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for more on affiliate links and my policies.
This past weekend was my birthday and I did something my brother never thought I would do. I got my very first tattoo! You see my brother and sister have multiple tattoos and getting a tattoo has been something that I have shied away from for a multitude of reasons. That being said, for my 36th birthday I agreed to get a sibling tattoo with my siblings. I am happy to report that I love it! ♥
A side note to all of this, I’ve suffered from anxiety for most of my adult life. I didn’t realize how much it was affecting me until I decided to really do something about it. The results have been mixed, but currently, I am happier, and being happier feels wonderful. It has led me to want to live a life of less fear, and thus – get the dang tattoo!
So cheers to my next year of less fear, getting healthier, more happiness, and more FUN!
You may find this extremely surprising, but one of the things that make me happy is baking. I love finding a really good recipe that is quick, easy and tastes like a million bucks, which describes these Butterfinger Cupcakes to a “B”.
I am an avid fan of doctored box cake mixes. They’re easy, delicious, and IMO difficult to screw up. I especially like doctored box cake mixes when I want to add something fun to the mix like Butterfinger Baking Bits. It’s beyond quick and easy, and it adds a little something-something to your cupcakes that will make you smile!
Butterfinger Cupcakes are positively divine, even non-Butterfinger fans (Is there such a thing?) will enjoy the moist, buttery flavor of the cupcake with a hint of Butterfinger, and the fluffy mound of chocolate buttercream on top with more bits of Butterfinger!
Seriously, nobody better lay a finger on my Butterfinger Cupcakes!
For Butterfinger Cupcakes
- 1 butter boxed cake mix ¹
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Butterfinger Baking Bits, plus ⅓ cup to sprinkle on top
For Butterfinger Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Make butter cake batter per boxed cake mix instructions.¹
- Add 1 cup of Butterfinger Baking Bits to batter; mix until combined.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners, no more than a scant ⅔ full.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes. Check cupcakes around 13 minutes to avoid over-baking. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cupcake, if it comes out clean it is done. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 3 minutes; transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Cupcakes should be cooled completely before frosting.
For Chocolate Buttercream
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter until creamy and smooth. Add cocoa and vanilla extract; mix until combined.
- Turn mixer on lowest speed and slowly add 2 cups of powdered sugar; mix until creamy. Scrape down bowl as necessary. Adding the powdered sugar gets dusty - place a damp towel over the top of the mixer to shield flying powdered sugar dust.
- Continue to slowly add remaining powdered sugar; blend until completely combined.
- Once all powdered sugar has been mixed in, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and mix. Continue to add and mix until desired consistency is achieved.
- Frost using a decorating tip or spatula onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle tops with Butterfinger Baking Bits. Eat & Enjoy!