Brain Cupcakes – release your inner zombie with these creepy Halloween cupcakes piped with buttercream frosting to look like brains.
BRAAINS. BRAAAINS! BRAAAINS!!
I love zombies. I’ve seen most zombie movies. I seriously LOVE The Walking Dead. Yes, I also watch Fear the Walking Dead and ZNation. I am a dead-head and I am NOT talking about the Grateful Dead.
Fun Fact: My license plate says, Zombies.
OF COURSE, I am going to share Brain Cupcakes. It’s like a written rule.
I made Brain Cupcakes several years back at my family’s Halloween party. They were vanilla cupcakes with strawberry filling and piped to look like brains. I shared them here. Todays, Brain Cupcakes are the same creepy Halloween cupcakes, except with a little know how.
Using a spatula frost your cupcakes with brain colored buttercream frosting. You don’t need to lay it on thick. These cupcakes already have loads of frosting on them.
The point of this step is to make sure no “gray matter” (i.e. cupcake) is poking out around your brains. Also, covering your cupcake with frosting helps lock in the moisture. Everyone loves a moist cupcake!
Using a piping bag fitted with a no. 12 round decorating tip, pipe a line straight down your cupcake, followed by squiggles on each side of the piped line. To create squiggles pipe back and forth in a continuous “s” shape.
The final step is to create another set of squiggles, continuous “s” shapes, on top of your first layer of squiggles. There you have it, Brain Cupcakes.
Brain Cupcakes are super-duper easy and uber creepy, which is SO perfect for Halloween!
- your favorite cupcake recipe
- vanilla buttercream
- 2 drops warm brown food color
- 1 drop ivory food color
- Color buttercream with 2 parts warm brown food color and one part ivory food color.
- Using a spatula frost your cupcakes with a thin layer of frosting covering all visible cupcake.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a no.12 round decorating tip, pipe a line straight down your cupcake, followed by squiggles on each side of the piped line. To create squiggles pipe back and forth in a continuous “s” shape.
- Pipe another set of squiggles, continuous “s” shapes, on top of your first layer of squiggles.
Shop This Recipe