Banana Walnut Oatmeal Muffins - soft and moist banana nut muffins jam-packed with bananas, oats, and walnuts with a sweet hint of cinnamon make these scrumptious muffins perfect for breakfast or a snack.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for more on affiliate links and my policies.
I love love, LOVE banana desserts. 🥰
Honestly, I could go on and on. There is no shortage of banana desserts on SBS because I LOVE them! 😍
Banana Walnut Oatmeal Muffins is a recipe I first shared back in 2014 when SBS was still in its baby years, and I was still figuring out how to be a food blogger.
Fast forward, I am still learning and I still love these Banana Walnut Oatmeal Muffins.
To upgrade these scrumptious walnut muffins I changed a few minor ingredients and took better photos.
I know that doesn’t seem like much, and it isn’t, but that’s all they needed to kick them up a notch and give them the attention they deserve.
Now, let’s get our Banana Walnut Oatmeal Muffins on and see what I had to say in my original post.
This post was originally shared on March 27, 2014 and has since been updated.
As with my Classic Oatmeal Cookies, these delish muffins contain old fashioned oats, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. The brown sugar adds moisture to the muffins and the oats add a nice, subtle texture and flavor.
The cinnamon, well I find it difficult NOT to add cinnamon to my recipes. It adds a little something-something to the flavor, plus has health benefits.
Like the Banana Walnut Bread, these banana-y muffins contain bananas, obviously, but these muffins contain more bananas, giving them more banana flavor. The bananas also add moisture to the muffins, are delicious, and are a great source of potassium and fiber.
In addition to bananas, there is a whopping ¾ cup of chopped walnuts in these nutty muffins. If you are a nut lover, you'll love the addition of walnuts to this recipe. You can’t bite into these delectable muffins without biting into a walnut. Plus, walnuts have great health benefits.
Not to be forgotten are the typical ingredients of these banana muffins: butter, eggs, salt, vanilla extract, baking soda, and baking powder. They are important to the recipe if you want the muffins to turn out. 😜
The muffins are quite easy to make once you get past the laundry list of ingredients. You just need to fill your cupcake liners with the muffin batter, sprinkle a little sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts on top for added flavor, and bake for about 15-19 minutes at 350F degrees.
Tada! You’ve just baked DELICIOUS Banana Walnut Oatmeal Muffins!
Banana Walnut Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 and ¼ cups mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, to sprinkle on top
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, mix butter and sugars, until blended. Add mashed bananas; mix until blended. Add vanilla extract and eggs; mix until blended.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients; mix until combined. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- In a small bowl, mix together a tablespoon of granulated sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners – no more than ⅔ full, or use a #24 disher to scoop batter. Sprinkle tops with sugar and cinnamon mixture, as well as topping with a few walnuts for added decoration and flavor.
- Bake for about 15-19 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the muffin, if it comes out clean it is done. Remove muffins from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cook completely. Eat & Enjoy!