Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes – super moist, very strawberry cupcakes made with doctored boxed cake mix, strawberry Greek yogurt, and strawberry puree, topped with a fluffy cloud of homemade whipped cream frosting; a deliciously refreshing not-too-sweet cupcake!
I’ve been on a strawberry kick lately. I’ve been eating them as a snack, eating them in smoothies, and have at least a half a dozen strawberry recipes I want to bake in the coming weeks. I unofficially think May might be strawberry month here at SBS.
I’d like to interrupt this Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes chat, for a quick update on the new SBS logo and web design. Last week in Milky Way Pretzel Bites I mentioned that I had hoped to be showcasing the new and improved SBS today. As you can see that did not happen. I am bummed, but it will be done, oh yes, it will be done…next week. I hope. 😉
And back to Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes.
You’ll love these Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes because they are easy-peasy. Their made from a doctored white boxed cake mix, which is wonderful because it cuts out a lot of the leg work, it’s difficult to mess up, and it produces fluffy, moist, and oh-so-delicious cupcakes. I love using a boxed cake mix as a base, and you all must agree because my most popular recipes are doctored boxed cake mix recipes.
Hello, Very Banana Cupcakes, Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes, Snickerdoodle Cupcakes, Chocolate 3 Musketeers Cupcakes, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes, and Dark Chocolate Banana Cupcakes. Also, you all seem to love bananas!
The other thing about doctored boxed cake mixes that will knock your socks off, is that all your friends will ask you if it’s a made from scratch cupcake, because “it has to be a made from scratch cupcake – no boxed cake mix makes cupcakes this good”. True story; they’ll say that.
You’ll love these Strawberries and Cream cupcakes because they are very strawberry. They are super moist and strawberry-y because of the #MadeWithChobani strawberry Greek yogurt and the 1 1/3 cups of strawberries! I am not a fan of chunks of fruit in my cupcakes, so those raw strawberries are mixed with milk and pureed into smithereens. It’s almost like adding a smoothie to your cupcake batter. Mmm.
You’ll also love these Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes because they are not too sweet. Honestly, that isn’t usually a selling point for me, but with these cupcakes it totally works! The not too sweet secret is in the batter and the homemade whipped cream frosting.
The strawberries in the batter are sweet themselves, and whipped cream frosting is the lesser of sweet frosting. You sweet fans don’t let that dissuade you though. The strawberries and cream combination makes the perfect amount of sweet for this delish fruity cupcake that there is no need/want for the sweetness of buttercream. And as you know from, How to Frost a Rose Cupcake, I LOVE buttercream!
These Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes are too delicious for their own good. Some would even say, “best ever” cupcakes, and those some would be my husband’s co-workers. I think you’ll be saying it too! 😉
What’s your favorite strawberry dessert, besides these Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes of course?
- 1 and 1/3 cup strawberry halves
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 white boxed cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 - 5.3 ounce container of Chobani Greek yogurt, strawberry
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Hull and halve strawberries. Place in blender along with milk and blend until strawberries are pureed; no chunks. Pour into measuring cup, you want 1 cup of pureed strawberries/milk mixture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, mix together boxed cake mix, oil, and eggs; mix until combined. Add vanilla extract; mix just until combined.
- Mix Chobani Greek strawberry yogurt so that the fruit on the bottom is mixed into the yogurt, then add to cupcake batter; mix until combined. Add 1 cup of strawberry puree/milk mixture; mix just until combined.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners - no more than 2/3 full, or use a #24 disher to scoop batter. Bake 13-15 minutes. Check cupcakes around 14 minutes to avoid over-baking. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cupcake, if it comes out clean it is done. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 2 minutes; transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Cupcakes should be cooled completely before frosting.
- Chill mixing bowl and wire whisk attachment in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.¹
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer with a wire whisk attachment, beat heavy whipping cream until desired level of firmness. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla extract until combined.
- Pipe cooled cupcakes with decorating tip 1M or with your fav offset spatula. Garnish with strawberries. Eat & Enjoy!
Store Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge; will keep for 2-3 days.
¹ It's best to chill your mixing bowl and wire whisk when working with heavy cream and whipping cream, however, you can get away with not doing this.