Oatmeal Caramel Bars – soft and chewy oatmeal cookie bars loaded with walnuts, milk chocolate chips, and melted caramel; the most awe-inspiring bar you’ll ever bake or eat.
I am absolutely in love with Oatmeal Caramel Bars! I knew I HAD to bake this bar when I came across it in BHG’s Biggest Book of Cookies (which I am baking my way through). I couldn’t fathom oatmeal, walnuts, milk chocolate chips, and caramel being anything but drool worthy. I am happy to report, THEY ARE!
Oatmeal Caramel Bars are an oatmeal cookie bar stuffed with chopped walnuts, milk chocolate chips, and gooey caramel. The texture is soft and chewy (I am your texture gal), the flavor is AMAZEBALLS, and the recipe easy-breezy!
Oatmeal Caramel Bars are soft, chewy, and moist (for lack of a better word). This is EXACTLY what you want in a cookie bar. They’re not falling apart, but they aren’t little bricks of unhappiness either. If they’re hard or crunchy, you baked them too long. This is not a crunchy cookie bar.
Oatmeal Caramel Bars have a lovely marriage of flavors. They offer a little something for everyone’s taste buds. You have a nice, subtle, nutty flavor from the chopped walnuts for the nutty nut lovers. You’ve got the rich and creamy milk chocolate chips for the chocolate lovers. You’ve got the delish flavors of an oatmeal cookie for the oatmeal cookie lovers (me). And then you’ve got the melted, creamy, gooey, beyond delicious caramel for everyone because caramel makes EVERYTHING better! #justsaying
Oatmeal Caramel Bars are also easy-breezy. The most difficult aspect is getting the vanilla caramels out of their wrappers (seriously – you may want to enlist some help with that step). These bars use a simple oatmeal dough that you press into a jelly pan, sprinkle with walnuts and chocolate chips, drizzle with melted caramel, and then drop teaspoons of the remaining oatmeal dough on top. You’re ready to bake!
Oatmeal Caramel Bars got the two thumbs up from my taste testers. I cannot stress enough how much I personally love these bars; they are awesome-sauce! In fact, I think I need some now. Excuse me while I go bake life sweet!
Who or what are you baking your Oatmeal Caramel Bars for?
- 30 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a medium saucepan add unwrapped caramels. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed, about 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add eggs, vanilla, and baking soda; mix until combined.
- Add flour; mix until combined. Add oats; mix until combined.
- On a ungreased 15x10x1" baking pan, press 2/3 (about 3 and 1/2 cups) of the oat mixture into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In the medium saucepan with the unwrapped caramels, add milk. Place saucepan over low-medium heat until caramels are melted, stir occasionally.
- Drizzle melted caramel mixture over chocolate and nuts. Drop remaining oat mixture by teaspoons over the top.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Eat & Enjoy!
Oatmeal Caramel Bars should be stored in an airtight container, separating layers by waxed paper; will keep 3+ days or freeze up to 3 months.
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Cookies.
Shop This Recipe